I need to move, now what?
So you have decided to move? This can be a very scary decision for some, whether you are moving a few blocks away or to a new city entirely the steps you take will have a big impact on the safety of your belongings and in turn your stress levels on the big day. There are several different options available to accomplish this painstaking task and I will try to cover the positives and negatives of each one which will in turn hopefully help with your decision.
Moving within Calgary and area
Option 1: Doing it yourself
In this economy many people are now choosing to move themselves through either renting a uhaul or using personal vehicles. This is usually the most cost effective way to accomplish this, but keep in mind the long term cost of this can sometimes be a lot higher.
- You can usually get a uhaul or similar rental truck for less than $150 a day including kms
- Save you a few hundred dollars if you don’t have to hire movers
- NO hourly rate so can take your time
- Rental moving trucks DO NOT come equipped with any moving equipment or more importantly they do not come with furniture blankets which is what are used to protect your furniture in transit. To pack a truck properly you need to pack as tightly as possible so things don’t bang into each other, if you don’t have the furniture blankets than any little bump in the road will cause the load to shift against each other causing unwanted scratches in your furniture.
- Aside from the high chance of damaging your own furniture you will have to think of the extra cost that will be involved in either replacing or refinishing your items after the inevitable does happen. These costs can end up being thousands and thousands of dollars.
- Most professional moving companies can get your move done in a lot less time than you are your friends will be able to which ends up giving you more time to relax in your new home and start unpacking and getting ready for your first night in the home.
- Actually having to round up some friends that are going to show up and not complain all day if they do, not to mention the extra cost of pizza and beer afterwards.
Moving is extremely stressful and taxing, having to do this yourself especially if you are married is usually not a great idea. My personal advice, save the arguments, the stress and hire a company that makes you feel at ease.
Option 2: Hiring a professional moving company
While not the most cost effective, hiring a professional moving company is the least stressful way of making sure your belongings make it to your new home safe and sound not to mention the quickest. Most reputable companies hire only the best staff available ensuring that you will feel safe and secure throughout the day. Please keep in mind I did say reputable, there are way too many fly by night companies in Calgary for my liking. Make sure you do your homework on any company you think of hiring to ensure they are not one of these companies. Easiest ways to do this is have a look at online reviews, look for their social media pages if they have any. how did their website look and how comfortable were you with the sales person representing them are all important questions to ask yourself before booking.
- Professional movers who know what they are doing
- Having all the proper equipment to get the job done such as; furniture blankets, dollies, shrink wrap, moving straps and floor runners to ensure your carpets don’t get dirty
- The luxury of having a stress free day
- Insurance on your belongings
- Having the option to utilize whatever company you choose to do a “full service” move meaning that you can literally have them come in and do all the packing, moving and unpacking leaving you free to go on a 2-3 vacation if you wanted to while the work is being done.
- Can be costly depending on which company you choose.
- Choosing the wrong company could end up being a complete nightmare so please do some research beforehand.
This is by far the most recommended choice for most people assuming it’s affordable. The amount of time and stress saved alone makes this completely worthwhile not to mention the added bonus of knowing your furniture and other personal belongings are transported safe and sound.
Option 3: Getting a company to move the big stuff only
In this economy this option is quickly trending upwards. If you have access to any type of truck and are willing to move the smaller items to your new home on your own then you can stand to save a few hundred dollars. Local moving companies usually charge by the hour so if you can cut out the number of trips in and out the house that they have to make by moving the boxes and smaller items over yourself then you can literally cut the moving time down by a third.
- Saves a few hundred dollars
- Cuts down on time on the actual moving day
- You will need access to a truck or van
- the extra time needed before move date to be able to do several trips on your own
- Having to haul and load yourself
If you have the time, patience and access to a truck or van beforehand then this option can be a good choice. Can save you a bit of money and get a head start on move day as well as the unpacking process.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post, If you have any additional questions or concerns about moving options and are looking for some advice then I would be happy to help out. You can reach me at (403) 568-0345 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org